1. Occurrences in this domain are beyond the reach of exact prediction because of the variety of factors in operation, not because of any lack of order in nature.
2. Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
3. One strength of the communist system of the East is that it has some of the character of a religion and inspires the emotions of a religion.
4. Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
5. Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.
6. Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
7. Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
8. Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.
9. People love chopping wood. In this activity one immediately sees results.
10. Perfection of means and confusion of ends seem to characterize our age.
11. Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.
12. Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.
13. Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
14. Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it.
15. Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
16. Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.
17. Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.
18. Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.
19. The attempt to combine wisdom and power has only rarely been successful and then only for a short while.
20. The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life. Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat.
21. The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
22. The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.
23. The environment is everything that isn't me.
24. The faster you go, the shorter you are.
25. The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead.
26. The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.
27. The grand aim of all science is to cover the greatest number of empirical facts by logical deduction from the smallest number of hypotheses or axioms.
28. The hardest thing to understand in the world is the income tax.
29. The high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule.
30. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
31. The man of science is a poor philosopher.
32. The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind.
33. The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible.
34. The only real valuable thing is intuition.
35. The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
36. The only source of knowledge is experience.
37. The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.
38. The process of scientific discovery is, in effect, a continual flight from wonder.
39. The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.
40. The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.
41. The road to perdition has ever been accompanied by lip service to an ideal.
42. The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
43. The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
44. The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
45. The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.
46. The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
47. There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.
48. There comes a time when the mind takes a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there.
49. There could be no fairer destiny for any physical theory than that it should point the way to a more comprehensive theory in which it lives on as a limiting case.
50. There is no logical way to the discovery of these elemental laws. There is only the way of intuition, which is helped by a feeling for the order lying behind the appearance.
51. To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.
52. To the Master's honor all must turn, each in its track, without a sound, forever tracing Newton's ground.
53. Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves.
54. True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist.
55. True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness.
56. Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
57. We cannot despair of humanity, since we ourselves are human beings.
58. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive.
59. We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
60. We still do not know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us.
61. Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
62. When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
63. Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
64. You ask me if I keep a notebook to record my great ideas. I've only ever had one.
65. You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.
66. You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.