Sunday, April 13, 2014

Just throw me under the bus

By the end of this month I will complete my first project. Not really my own project.
Just finishing up someone else project.

I love the complexity of the project. (somehow, my mentor had inspired me right here)
On very high level, it very simple.
"To teach user how to use some product."
Only small little problem, I don't know the product completely. (seems like there more)
And I need to teach the whole organization. Yup, all 4 thousands of them.
In whole branches. I don't even know what is the department beside me.
(Not to mention I have a not motivated subordinate)

Thank you for throwing me under the bus,
with limited resources, I have manage to do the impossible.
Actually not yet complete, it far from complete. (almost complete actually)
Looking back, how far have I gotten. Guess I'm doing okay.
(Need to keep the momentum, need to thrive for maximum result)

There are a lot of words to keep my motivation up. Among them is this poster below.

This strike true for me, I believe that it not about the resource. If you are incompetent, you will mess it up even you have sufficient resource. And I'm trying to prove that I'm competent. 

This remind me of Dharma and Greg show where Ed (Greg father in law), who is a successful businessman had retired. Long story short, Dharma requesting Ed to assist on some drag queen clothing company from bankrupt. Surprisingly, Ed managed to do it.(he is very good at management) The one that amaze me is that less than 5 minute Ed in the drag queen office, he manage to come up with many good idea and able to detect the flaw within the company. (not to mention with very experience with drag queen clothing)

Maybe it just a movie, but I wish to be that guy. He able to adapt to any situation and come with solution. It doesn't matter the resources he have, he know how to utilize it efficiently. If we could manage our resources efficiently, we will be better than before. He didn't rely on the resource available, he rely on himself and use the resource to support him. Instead of using the resource as his main source of power.

So the big question now, are you manage your resources efficiently?

p/s : another tips from xkcd, in order to become great at some field is not to try to become great at some field. You become great when you stick to your path to solve the issues and get the job done. You won't realize it until you become great at it.

No comments: